Playing a game, where the target is constantly moving can be challenging. So is creating email: rules here change before you even find out about them. To help the email marketers win the game, SmartSender pulled out some tips to quickly improve your email program.
- Clean your list
We keep insisting that purchased or rented email lists can do more harm rather than help. Before buying a list, ask yourself whether it is worth it to risk your brand and sending reputation.
There are a lot safer ways to create opt-in list of email subscribers. Subscription prompt on your website or an opt-in field on your landing page are only a couple of them.
- Polish your subject line and preheader text
Believe it or not, but you can boost engagement with a single subject line. Consider the following:
- Keep it simple.
- Try to personalize.
- Try to create an instant dialogue, starting with a question, when possible.
- Optimize your CTA (Call To Action)
- To decide on your CTA, you should think of the goal of your email and what exactly you want from your subscriber.
- Do not overdo with your CTA placement. SmartSender suggests to use one or two CTA buttons within your email.
- Make sure your recipients get clear directions. Clear wording is the key.
- Rethink over the design: banner, buttons, colors and text readability.
- Consider your Metrics
Your performance should be measured regularly and minor changes should be applied after each email.
- OR (Open rates) – this will tell you how many recipients read your email. The open rate will tell you whether your subject line was successful.
- CR (Click rates) – this is when someone opens and clicks on a hyperlink. The well-thought-over placement of CTA, content and design will lead to high CR.
- Unsubscribes – these occur when a recipient opens your email and decides they don’t want to receive your emails anymore. Update your list as quickly as possible. Automatic removal of unsubscribed contacts from the list – the best solution for keeping your list clean and up to date.
- Feedback loops show those, who marked your email as junk with this data. This will also help you keep your list clean.