You wake up in the morning, and the first thing you do is grab your phone to check your emails. By browsing hundreds of irrelevant emails and sending them straight to the spam folder, all of a sudden, something caught your eye. Your favorite night cream, which is running low on, is available on sale. A scenario that will drive you straight to the ad.
It is the magic of personalization, providing the right product to the right customers at the right time. That’s why our clients reach Smartsender’s all-in-one automation tools in an effort to send highly targeted and relevant messages to their customers. Read on to unveil why personalization in email marketing is vital and how to collect and analyze customers’ data to create highly customized campaigns.
Power of Personalization
Personalization in email marketing aims at customizing the content of an email message to suit the individual characteristics, behavior, interests, or past interactions of the recipient with a business.
From simple touches like customizing the name in the subject line, to more sophisticated methods, like inserting dynamic content and leveraging behavioral data, today’s personalization techniques in email marketing vary.
Marketers at every level can reap the seeds of their efforts when sending highly customized and relevant messages. By conducting thorough research and analysis to identify the key characteristics and interests of the target market, marketers can create messages that resonate with customers on a deeper level.
This approach can lead to higher engagement rates and increased conversions, ultimately resulting in greater customer loyalty and brand recognition.
Investing in personalized marketing strategies is wise and can yield clear benefits for your business. But how can you apply personalization techniques naturally, avoiding any hint of sounding too pushy and sales-y while also following the data privacy regulations of clients?
We’ve put together tips and best practices for collecting your customers’ data, analyzing it, and creating personalized campaigns. So, let’s dive into it!
How to Collect Customer Data?
As a responsible business owner, handling your customer data with the utmost care is crucial. Not only is it a legal requirement, but also an ethical and safety concern that should not be taken lightly.
Under GDPR, businesses must follow the below regulations; otherwise, they might face strict fines and penalties:
- Customer’s clear consent to collect, use, or store their data
- Transparency about the data you gather, process, or store
- Secured storage of data with technologies that have high-security standards
On top of being a legal requirement, GDPR compliance is an ethical thing too. It is essential to build strong customer trust and instill a sense of security and reassurance that their personal information is safe.
Data Collection Strategies
Once you have a clear grasp of these regulations, start exploring strategies for securely gathering your customer data. Follow these practices to safely collect personal data:
- Email sign-ups. Encourage customers to sign-up for your newsletters by offering specific incentives in return. This could be in the form of discounts, bonuses, or reward programs that could spark customer loyalty. Don’t go too far; ask for basic information such as name, location, and email address.
- In-Depth Analytics: One of the biggest pluses of advanced email automation software is the ability to provide detailed analytics of your customers’ behavior, characteristics, interests, and preferences. You don’t have to search for ways to collect each customer’s personal data when it is stored securely in the software. Smartsender automatically collects data, such as purchase behavior, demographic or psychographic characteristics, and much more making your job 10x easier.
- Data of Transactions: When you use automation software, which captures your customers’ transactions, you can collect valuable data about customers’ purchase history. Earlier, we gave an example of how this data could help to come up with a highly personalized offer that your customer needs at that very moment. Here is how it works. The analysis of the customer’s past purchases is conducted to pinpoint the items that were frequently bought. Then, a wait filter is added to the workflow to set the time when the customer may need these products again.
- Surveys: This is another popular way to collect personal data by emailing a questionnaire. However, it’s worth mentioning that surveys may not capture input from every customer, which is a significant drawback for collecting customer data.
Creating Personalized Campaigns
Now that we understand where to get personal data, the next logical step is leveraging this information for personalized campaigns.
To achieve this, powerful email automation software with cutting-edge automation tools is a must to resonate with your audience. One of the key players in targeted campaigns include:
- Segmentation: And we are not talking about traditional segmentation features such as based on customer’s location, age, or gender. Today’s competitive market demands advanced segmentation features to stay ahead of the curve. Advanced or hyper-segmentation allows marketers to understand more complex behavior or characteristics of their customers. For example, by analyzing customers’ purchase history and spending habits, you can create high or low-income segments and send product recommendations that match their income level.
- Dynamic Content: Dynamic content changes according to the inserted variables in your email. For instance, upon selecting a gender variable, customers shall be presented with two distinct offers precisely customized to their gender.
And above all, detailed analytics are important to track the success of your campaigns. Smartsender’s advanced functionalities allow marketers to get comparative reports, ROI, and customer retention rates, along with basic features such as CTR, OR, delivery, and engagement rates.
Unleash your creativity with marketing automation platform. Retain, regain, re-engage customers in a few clicks.
Why not give our signup plan a try today and unlock the full potential of advanced personalization? It’s completely free and forever, so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!
Personalization in email marketing is an absolute must for marketers to stand out in the pool of promotional messages. It helps to improve customer experience by providing offers catered to their needs and preferences.
For maximum results, pick powerful all-in-one automation software that has the following:
- High-security standards to collect and store customers’ data
- Hyper-segmentation to track complex behavior, traits, and characteristics of customers
- Dynamic content with various variables to be inserted in emails
- In-Depth analytics and reports to measure the success of your campaigns